Saved By a Dream

Many times, I would stumble upon a certain person, place, thing, or event and the moment would suddenly be frozen - like a motion picture montage playing slowly in my head: DEJAVU. A sudden flash of memory would hit me faster than a heartbeat. I remember, even though I haven't encountered that exact scenario so far in my waking hours. I... had dreamt about it.

Dreams are a hodgepodge of pictures with endless interpretations and most of the time, we forget what we even dreamed of at the sound of our alarm clock rousing us from the sweetest sleep. Sometimes, we don't even find time to cherish a dream for it is one mysterious field that has no place in reality, or so we thought.

I remember that the Holy Bible has so many instances when divine messages were sent through the channel of dreams, to serve as a warning and as a guide. If we can only interpret dreams the way Joseph, the dreamer did, then, we would all feel much safer in a world full of uncertainties. But sadly, we don't have that gift. There are even hundreds of Dream Interpretation books out there and we could only bemuse ourselves through the pages, giggling at those ridiculous meanings written for us to find out.

During a lecture on dream interpretation at one of my psychology class way back in school, our professor had told us that dreams are deep desires and frustrations manifesting in a world untouched by time and space. To dream is to live out those passions hidden in the seat of the subconscious mind. Even a book will say that dream unites the very essence of the body, mind, and soul into a collage of things describing your very self, giving you a deeper insight of who you really are.

If this is true, how then would one explain things that are to come, in the form of premonitions?

The most astonishing dream had came to me a few years back, which I believed had saved us from an outing disaster. I clearly recall the dream of a bus capsizing into the edge of a cliff, and falling into the rugged terrain below. It was almost a nightmare when I woke up panting, with beads of sweat all over my body. Writing about it right now even gives me goosebumps all over.

Was it just a dream?

It felt so real as if I could almost smell the very stench of the smoke pumping out of the engine. That dream had almost faded from my mind when at last, my friends and I made it to the bus terminal. We were going out of town to do some hiking up north. I couldn't believe my eyes when we have gotten our tickets and were about to hop inside the bus... for it look exactly the one I had in my dream.

I felt so uneasy that it bothered my friends. My hands were getting colder with every passing of my breath. I didn't feel like going on the planned trip, but I wouldn't want to spoil the fun either. Gut instincts had served me well that an idea came out of nowhere: Play sick. I had to act as if I have had the nastiest breakfast of the day and needed to postpone for the trip. My friends wouldn't want to go on without me and so, we had all canceled for the trip. I could only heave a sigh of relief as the bus had left us at the terminal. Too bad that our tickets were non-refundable and I could just imagine the ire my pals have felt.

It was almost nine in the evening when my buddy had called. She was in a state of shock and joy, thanking me for being ill. I wondered why. The reason is that the six o'clock evening news had reported a vehicular accident with lots of fatalities...and it was the bus we were supposed to ride on. Up to this day, I can't even come up with an explanation and I could only say my thanks to the angels that have made me live to tell this tale. From that day on, I have made it a habit to write any vivid dream on my journal, whenever I can remember. It might just be another dream, or another divine message... no one really knows.

" Open your eyes and let your heart see. One day, you will know the answer. "